Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ups and Downs

We've been home a month now. Our last trip to Houston was right before I had to be back at school. It was a pretty busy visit. Paul had a test called a cistrenogram to check for his suspected cerebrospinal fluid leak. We weren't notified of any abnormal results from the test, so for several weeks we assumed nothing was wrong. Then a call came three weeks ago saying Paul did have a leak and it should be fixed as soon as possible. However, Paul was having a feeding tube placed the day the MDACC doctor wanted to fix the leak. So it was determined we could wait two weeks until Paul was better nourished.

Fast forward two weeks and things have changed significantly. I am sad to write that Paul has entered hospice care. We don't know when our time together will be through, but we ask all of you to pray and hope that we have some quality time to make more lasting memories together. If you would like to visit you are welcome to. Paul is feeling well enough to spend time out of bed a great deal of the time.

On the very bright side, Paul was Baptized, received First Communion and Confirmation two weeks ago. The new pastor at St. Joseph, Bishop Doug Deshotel came to our house to perform the rites. Paul and I are both very happy and it brings us comfort.

Please keep all of us in your thoughts and prayers as we go take Paul's final journey together.

3 comments:

  1. Monica, Your dad told us about Paul's condition and the fact that he has entered hospice. As of Saturday night, that was the direction you were going to take. I'm so sorry and I truly pray that Paul is comfortable and not in much pain. The fact that he was confirmed into the Church speaks volumes of the kind of man he is. May God be with you and Colin and the rest of your family and Paul's family. You're in my prayers daily.

    Most fondly,
    Carol Savedra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Monica. We have never met, but Paul and I go WAY back. I think back to about fifth grade. At least thats the first I remember Paul. One day our teacher sent he and I out to the hallway to come up with an exercise that we could lead the class in. Bad idea. As we were fooling around, Paul found an exercise in the book that said we had to walk on our toes. Paul took that literally and tried to walk on his toes. He then fell head first int a chest freezer! Of course, being Paul, he cracked up laughing, while he was bleeding from a head wound. Very funny. Everytime I ever hung out with Paul was fun times for sure. In high school he was dead set on becoming a designer or drafter. He and I started drafting together our freshman year. I got bored with it and lost interest. He didnt and never looked back. By our senior year, he was doing things that I was clueless about. I have a lot of great memories of Paul. I always have had a ton of respect for him and as I said before, loved spending time with him. I am very sorry to hear of his sickness. Jeff and I are friends, so I found out from him.

    Please tell Paul that I am praying for he and you. I gave my life to Christ about 15 years ago and have found that relying on His grace alone is the only way to get through times such as this.

    Tell him I said hello and that I said THANKS for a lot of great memories from our childhood and teen years. He is a very special guy.

    In Christ,

    Jason Woodard
    Battle Creek MI
    Formerly OSSEO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica,
    I know we don't really know each other too well...other than being facebook friends and seeing you now and then around church. I just wanted to say your blog has been inspiring and you are just such a strong person. I have been praying for Paul,you and your families and think about you often. I pray that you will always be surrounded by God's love.

    Love and God bless,
    Rachael Schroeder

    ReplyDelete